Who is Krystol Diggs???
*pictures from pinterest
Krystol and I decided to do a little blog swapping … I got to learn a lot about this amazing woman, as she answered questions for us about her writing and her life. Feel free to read more from Krystol at her blog http://writingsbykrystol.com/
or one of the other sites that will be listed at the end of this post, with a short bio. Now for the fun stuff… Here is my baker’s dozen of all things Krystol Diggs!!
1. What parts of your growing education help you to build more vivid characters?? And will this coming degree be your final educational achievement, or will you continue to expand your knowledge within the classroom?? What other methods do you use to gain knowledge and inspiration??
– Good questions, Tracey. Well, this is absolutely my final degree! PhD is where I draw the line, lol. I’m in so much debt it’s not even funny. With my education, it has helped me develop my characters more, especially when it comes to the personality traits and mind. To gain inspiration, I use life experiences, and I focus on those that inspire me. For example, Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama, and Stephen King.
2. Do you have any artistic activities (other than writing), things that rejuvenate your writer spirits when writer’s depression comes calling??
– When I get writer’s block, I do other things like watch movies or read a book. I try not to let the depression of not writing hinder me. My mentor always told me when I don’t feel like writing, don’t.
3. What is the biggest block to your writing that you have had to face??
– I would say the biggest block that I have to face with my writing was rejection. I had sent a query to Kensington Press. I was beyond thrilled that my manuscript was requested. A few months later, I got the bad news. I was depressed for about a week, but then I said, ” this is their loss.” and what advice would you give to other to help them face their own personal blocks?? I would say to keep reading and keep writing. Do not let opinions of others get you down.
4. You have stated that you specialize in screenplays, TV writing, game writing, novels and animation. Which would consider your first love, the one that pulled you into the writing world… which would consider a labor of love, that you learned to appreciate over time … and which falls into the category of more work than fun???
– I would say that novel writing is my husband, screenwriting is who I’m having the affair with and game writing is my side-piece. LOL….they all go hand in hand at some point in my life.
5. Which of your books/writing creations (novel, screenplay, etc..) holds a special place in your heart?? All of our creations hold a piece of our souls, but which has become that favored child that your mind will always see as in need of a mother’s hand, but with infinite possibility inside??
– I would have to say my first book. Through Her Eyes. This story is based on my life and things that I went through as a child and as a young adult.
6. Which of your ireports still has the power to put a smile on your face, as you recount the words you poured into the story??
– The I-report that puts a smile on my face would be the one that made national headlines. A friend of mine and her then boyfriend were pulled over due to racial profiling. These friends of mine are celebrities. They gave me the story and I uploaded it. Til this day it’s viewed as one the most viewed I-report of all time.
7. Any fun facts about your reporting adventures??
– Fun Fact, let’s see…Okay, I was interviewing Tyrese Gibson ( the singer/actor) and he said his artist who’s name was Krystal as well and he called her name during the interview and I answered! LOL…I was so embarrassed.
8. Any sage advice?? Especially about those first few pages, and that ending that we all strive to give the reader … the ending that will wrap up your novel and bring the readers coming back for more??
– My advice is to NOT leave the book with a cliffhanger. Loyal readers get pissed when you do this, especially if the next part is not coming out for a while.
9. REVIEWS??? Let’s talk about the all important reviews?? What avenues do you suggest for best review acquisition?? Are there any avenues that should be avoided??
– Well, when it comes to reviews, I like to be honest at all times. The best review is the one that is written with genuine intent. You’d be surprised, there are people who actually pay for reviews on their sites.
10. Who helps to push you to reach your goals??
-.Honestly, no one. I mean, my parents support whatever I do, but they really don’t know what it is like. A lot of my writer friends that I have made, we barely have time to talk, lol. who do you turn to when writing issues have you screaming into a pillow?? I turn to God and Justin Timberlake’s music. or is it the calm love of animal friend, a quiet place of solitude, or a calming ritual that allows you to move past frustrations??? My new cat, RJ, is a sweetie pie. When I’m feeling down or sick, he’s there under me.
11. Of all of your writing tips and advice to other writers, which do you consider to be the most important?? Which would you say is the fundamental stepping stone for a writer to move forward, to take their love (at times, what they at first believed to be a hobby) in a more serious direction??
– I would say to have great time management skills. Don’t be like me and cram at the last minute when you’ve set a deadline for yourself. Make your next writing, your best writing. Don’t focus on other writers’ style of writing, create your own voice, tell your own stories. Be original and not a copy.
12. Back to the all important reviews… which review left you with the need to spread out to all your friends, family, and internet cohorts with word of the novels greatness?? So great that you felt everyone needed to at least crack the spine (open the ebook) and read that first line, because you knew that they would become hooked…
– I’m so excited about this question. I’m not finished the book yet, but everyone needs to read You by Caroline Kepnes. This book is so good! I’m giving it a 5 star already. When it comes to reviews, look for ones that are concise and to the point. You can read a review and tell that there was not much though to it.
13. ooooo … Let’s end with BAD REVIEWS … I wont ask you to name names, but is their anything you would like to ask the writers of the world to stop doing??? Do you have a literary pet peev?? A wordage no-no?? Yes! Writers of the world, please stop making sequels to book that ended in the second part. To have a book drag on is upsetting.
And last but not least, let’s add some coffee to all those crumbs of knowledge in our baker’s dozen. I challenge you to list five fun facts about yourself (not all need be centered on writing). Let us see a little bit more about Krystol Diggs.
1. I have an addiction of buying books. I do intend to read them all–eventually.
2. I am type 2 diabetic
3. Chinese Food is a weakness of mine. I could eat it everyday.
4. My office is in my bed. ( Don’t Judge me)
5. My favorite colors are pink and red.
6. Freebie: Ann M. Martin my favorite author as a kid.
—– Alright… that concludes our blogger’s swap… to wrap up, I will leave you with a short bio about Krystol… as well as her online links… happy wordage, everyone
*pick from her google site
Krystol Diggs has been writing since the age of 15. Her debut novel Through Her Eyes was the jump-start of more to come from this author, and now screenwriter, and publisher. Krystol has received her Masters degree at Full Sail University with an MFA in Creative Writing. She has written three screenplays, two short films and a host of other books in the various genres of fiction, thrillers, erotica, young adult and drama which can be found on amazon.com. She has also written for magazines such as Raw Talent Magazine and Bougie Magazine, interned at IFashion Network as a writer and now is a reporter/journalist for CNN’s Ireport section. Krystol is currently attending Walden University where she is studying for her PhD in Human Services.
Links to Krystol Diggs
Website: www.writingsbykrystol Twitter:https://twitter.com/KrystolDiggs LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/pub/krystol-diggs/37/228/180 Facebook:www.facebook.com/writingbykrystol